The devastating collision, involving two passenger trains and a freight train, took the lives of at least 275 people and caused injuries to over 1100 others in Balasore. This tragic incident has had a profound impact across India.
The twin-train derailments within minutes of each other that killed 25 people in Madhya Pradesh on August 5, 2015, is being blamed on flash floods. S Pushpavanam wonders if that is the only reason.
Mumbaikars, especially the office-goers, heaved a sigh of relief as the train services were restored.
Trial runs of this train are being conducted.
Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of those killed in the train mishap in Bihar's Khagaria district and ordered an inquiry into it.
Five days after the tragic triple train accident near this station, it was business as usual in Bahanaga Bazar with a handful passengers, including a few sightseers thronging the tiny way station.
The Railways ordered an inquiry, on Friday, into the train derailment near Jaipur that left six persons dead. Commissioner of Railway Safety, Western Circle, Prashant Kumar is inquiring into the mishap, railway sources said.
Even as preliminary investigations by forensic experts and the railway police suggest that the fire accident aboard the Chennai-bound Tamil Nadu Express on Monday was caused by the electric short circuit, the circumstances which led to the accident and heavy loss of life continues to be wrapped in the mystery.
An inquiry by the safety commissioner has been ordered. Anusha Soni reports
Three railway employees - the driver, assistant driver of a light engine and the assistant stationmaster of Gamariah station - have been suspended in connection with the accident.
A fracture in the rail line was responsible for the Howrah-Kalka Mail accident that claimed 70 lives last month, the preliminary report submitted to Railway Ministry, claimed.
Ten bogies of a Jammu-bound train derailed in Kaushambi on Monday, killing three persons including a woman on the spot and injuring nine and affecting train traffic on Allahabad-Kanpur route.
Railways have chalked out nine more routes for running similar trains.
Two days after one of India's worst train accidents at Bahanaga Bazar in Odisha's Balasore district, two railway tracks have been made fit to carry trains after bulldozers and cranes removed capsized coaches on the main trunk line connecting eastern and southern India.
Prima facie, the derailment was caused by a rail fracture.
The commissioning of the 3-km Versova to Azad Nagar stretch of Mumbai Metro-I project will not be operational from September, as the Central Railway Safety Commissioner's approval is still awaited.
The probe report, however, gave a 'clean chit' to Navjot Kaur Sidhu, who was the chief guest at the Dussehra event, saying 'she had no role in organising the event'.
Truck movements across the India-Bangladesh border are on the rise, with increasing rentals signalling a trade recovery between the two South Asian nations. Yet, geopolitical tension looms large, with Bangladesh now under an interim government for nearly two months.
Two officials were suspended on April 21, the day of the accident, while four others were suspended on Friday, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Shailendra Kumar said.
10 women and six minors are among the injured, the officials said.
The Ministry of Railways on Friday ordered an inquiry to ascertain the cause of fire in the Gouthami Express train in Andhra Pradesh. The commissioner of Railway Safety will hold the inquiry and submit the report at the earliest. Forensic experts are also examining the cause of the fire, said Railways Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav.
Preliminary investigations have revealed that a signal was given to Coromandel Express to enter the main line but it was taken off and the train entered the loop line, where it crashed into a goods train parked there.
According to sources, RInfra has sought a steep revision in the fares with minimum Rs 22 and maximum Rs 33, citing a near-doubling of its cost.
The death toll in the Indore-Patna Express derailment at Pukhrayan, Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday mounted to 148 even as railway services resumed on Jhansi-Kanpur section after damaged tracks were replaced between Pukhrayan and Malasa stations.
A high-level probe has been ordered into the derailment of the Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Superfast Express train near Jajpur Road railway station, railway officials said.
Incessant rains apparently caused cracks in the bridge, resulting in its collapse, an official said.
Railway Minister Lalu Prasad on Monday announced in Lok Sabha that a statutory inquiry, to be conducted by the Commissioner of Railway Safety, had been ordered in the Coromandel Express mishap. Making a suo motu statement in the Lower House soon after the interim budget was presented, Prasad said the cause of the accident is being investigated. He also announced relief to the victims of the mishap.
The chief commissioner of railway safety has ratified the cause and the same has also been accepted by the Railway Board, he said
There seemed to be some negligence on the part of the contractor, police said.
Railways suspect that tampering of the track near Kuneru station led to the derailment of the train.
The train collided with a goods train amid dense fog. A high-level probe has been ordered into the incident. Passengers with major injuries have been sent to Cuttack Medical College Hospital. All passengers are stated to be out of danger.
Following the incident, some long distance trains, including Konark Express, Kanyakumari Express, Nandigram Express and Pragati Express were rescheduled.
This was revealed in the preliminary report of a statutory inquiry.
Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety G P Garg, in the preliminary inquiry report, has held that it was caused due to the blunder by the station masters of Bhangala and Mirthala.
This was the provisional finding of Commissioner of Railway Safety R P Agarwal, who conducted an inquiry into the accident.
The Commissioner for Railway Safety began the investigation by meeting the injured passengers in hospitals.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah said the Delhi case was not the first FIR registered in the country. He said the first case under the new laws was about a motorcycle theft registered in Madhya Pradesh's Gwalior at 10 minutes past midnight.
The report said people with heavy luggage lost their balance because of which the stampede may have occurred.